- ❝ Eso es el amor: renunciar el dinero como si fuera nada ❞
- — Alba describing him to Jane
Mateo Villanueva came from a family of riches from Venezuelan oil. He and his brothers fought about the family wealth and Mateo gave it all up and decided to move to the US, as it was the wish of his wife, Alba Villanueva. Mateo worked very hard to provide for his family and, sadly, died at the young age of 43. He was three years older than Alba and would've been in his 70's now. He presumably died before Xiomara got pregnant.
Mateo Villanueva is described as the love of Alba's life, and she is seen mourning the anniversary of his death on June 12, in a flashback. Mateo is described by the Villanuevas as a kindhearted, hardworking man, who put family first.
- One of the first descriptions of Mateo on the show, is Alba likening Mateo's values to Rafael Solano.
- Mateo made a Christmas Angel ornament for his family.
- Jane, his granddaughter, named her son after Mateo.
Mateo was of average height, with dark brown hair, warm brown eyes, and a kind smile.