❝I've never felt this type of connection with anyone, in my entire life❞— Rafael to Jane
FIGHTING BACK – Jane (Gina Rodriguez) and Rogelio (Jaime Camil) begin to grow closer until she meets his mean twin teenage stepdaughters (guest stars Vanessa and Veronica Merrell), who are determined to make her life miserable. Rogelio insists Xo (Andrea Navedo) uses his band for her big performance at the Marbella Hotel, but the band is not what she was expecting. Elsewhere, Rafael (Justin Baldoni) finds himself arrested after Petra (Yael Grobglas) files a complaint against him. Meanwhile, Jane is conflicted about the direction of her relationship with Michael (Brett Dier) and what will be the best choice for her.
|The episode begins at Jane's 21st birthday party where everyone is drunk, including Jane. Michael shows up in uniform and Jane assumes he's a STRIPPER!! The two of them are shown bonding over telenovelas. They kiss and it starts to snow- from the ceiling crumbling. At the present Jane and Michael are still not talking. She can't stop thinking about all of the lies and she needs more time. She has no clue with what to do and wants to stop crying- She has gotten her student teaching job in high school (Our Lady of Sorrows. Jane specifically wanted middle schoolers because of her horrible time in high school. Rafael apologizes for his behavior yesterday and is willing to work it out. When he hangs up the phone Michael is there- and HE IS ARRESTED for "punching" Petra. Ro and Xo are talking about her singing debut in the lounge and Rogelio promises to get her a band. The two of them are about to kiss when Melissa walks in. She is a bitch!
The De La Vegas and the Villanuevas have dinner together where Rogelio goes on and on about Jane to his former stepdaughters. He ends the evening by presenting a car to Jane. Michael and Nadine are on the hunt for Disgusting Tom's murder. Inside the locker, Nadine finds a phone number for "Eli" their first lead! Jane starts student teaching and, you guessed it! Victoria and Valeria are in her class. They out her to the Principal Sister Margaret about the pregnancy, to which she promises no more drama. At The Marbella, Xo rehearses for her upcoming gig with her new band- made up of women Rogelio has slept with! Jane talks with her father about the twins being jealous of her- which backfires in a truly Rogelio fashion, and he also buys them cars. She sees Rafael in the lobby and he tells her that he was in JAIL! They have a heart-to-heart about their crappy situations and Jane in high school and Jane feels her heart fluttering again.
Michael comes to Xo's rehearsal. In a very touching role reversal, she gives him the same explanation she gave Jane a few episodes ago. The scene ends with Michael having renewed hope that he can fix this. The next day at school, Victoria and Valeria show up at school with new Mini Coopers Rogelio bought them. They show her "Jane the Pregnant Virgin" and then they get her fired. Xiomara tells Jane that she knows how to take down "Sixteen-year-old bitches" and Jane enlists Rafael's help to get back at them. Back in the suite the electricity and water are turned off and she gets a call from Ivan. Rafael has frozen all of her accounts! Good for him. Jane has apparently gathered enough blackmail on her evil stepsister and she and Rafael talk again while eye flirting. Jane doesn't know how she feels and Rafael takes his opening to tell her how she feels and I cannot stress how important it is that you watch Justin deliver the lines- you'll fall in love with him too. I can't ruin it for you.
Petra or as I like to call her, Desperate for Money, goes to collect half of the money she wanted when Rafael surprises her with a witness! She's packing! Jane unleashes her blackmail and her moment of smugness only lasts a few seconds before Victoria starts crying. They were not jealous of the attention from Rogelio- they were jealous that she had good parents and their mom is horrible. They don't know where their father is and-Jane saw them differently. They help her get her job back and she tells Michael she's ready to talk. Shady Sister Margaret plans on using Jane to bring more people to the church! Jane goes to the Marina to talk with Michael and she forgives him. But she can't be with him- and gives his ring back. Jane tells Ro that he can't keep the car because it's a big meaningless gesture. Rogelio explains that it's not a gesture- she needs a car for school and work and he could not always afford such things by himself. They have a nice moment that is interrupted by Melissa and Xo arguing.
Ivan shows up in Petra's room and she attacks him with Zaz's ashes. Xo goes on without her band while Michael cracks the phone number on the piece of paper. Her performance goes well and she tells Rogelio that they can't be together because it will interfere with his relationship with Jane. Rafael finds Jane outside and they talk about her breakup. Overjoyed, Rafael kisses Jane, petals falling around them. He lifts her up to continue the kiss-
- “I look at him differently — and I don't know if I can go back”
- —Jane, to her mom and Abuela about Michael
- “Oh, and don't forget your boyfriend”
- —Rafael handing Petra Zaz's urn
- “I could not afford a car until I was 35 (32, if anyone asks)”
- —Rogelio to Jane
- “Jane – I was different in high school, kind of quiet and shy and you wouldn't have noticed me --
Rafael – Of course I would have noticed you”
- Jane's been in college for 6 years while working.
- A picture of the employee of the month at The Marbella can be seen in the background. It is actually a picture of series creator Jennie Urman.
- Rogelio's step-daughters are introduced.
- Jane wanted to teach in a middle school but they assigned her high school.
- Rafael tells Jane he has feelings for her.
- Rogelio has 6.3 million Twitter followers.
- There was an #awkwardfamilydinner.
- Valeria and Victoria go to the school where Jane is teaching.
- Jane tells Rafael about her bad high school experience.
- Rogelio buys the same car her bought for Jane for Valeria and Victoria in a different color.
- Jane breaks up with Michael.
- Ivan comes into Petra and Magda's suite wielding a gun, but Petra manages to knock him out.
- Xiomara performs at The Marbella.
- Jane and Rafael kiss for the second time.
- There is a flashback to Jane's 21st birthday party and how Jane and Michael met.
- The table-read was on September 3, 2014.
- Filming for this episode began on September 5, 2014.
- Prep for this episode started on August 26, 2014.
- Filming ended around on September 12, 2014.
- dj make the party jump | CHAZZTRAXX FEAT. J DASH & PALOMA
- flashback — jane's 21st birthday
- coyita | GUSTAVO SANTAOLALLA
- michael brings jane a package
- pampa | GUSTAVO SANTAOLALLA
- jane tells michael she doesn't know if she wants to stay together/victoria cries and jane feels bad for her/jane goes to meet michael/rogelio tells jane why he got her a car
- mischievous guitar | KEVIN KINER
- Jane confronts the twins
- jardin | GUSTAVO SANTAOLALLA
- the twins tell the nuns the truth
- dream a little dream of me (a capella cover) | ?
- Xiomara performs at The Marbella
- sea of lovers | CHRISTINA PERRI
- jane and rafael finally kiss
Notes and references
|season one||1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12|
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
|season two||23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33|
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
|season three||45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54|
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
|season four||65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73|
74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
|season five||82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100